Sunday 28 February 2016

21 again ...

What a day to celebrate my birthday ... the sun is shining, the sky is blue and the sea is calm. A bottle of champagne in the fridge, and a late birthday lunch this afternoon with friends to help me celebrate. Life can be so good.

This is my fourth birthday in Cyprus - and each one has been different thanks to Ann - and I must admit each one has been great thanks to her efforts. Goodness knows what we shall do in a couple of years to celebrate my 65th. As Ann says, "It's only a number" and I must admit I feel marvellous most of the time. The lifestyle in Cyprus and our way of dealing with matters has a lot to do with our state of mind.

We have had a couple of hiccups to deal with of late, and once again our policy of being very selective with friends has paid dividends. The expat community in such a small place like Polis can be pretty claustrophobic and everyone seems to know our business. There are times when living in the middle of a field can have distinct benefits. The idea of living in a "community" is just too awful to contemplate. For those following in our footsteps, do remember that.

Expats tend to want to form instant friendships, on the flimsiest of evidence. Perhaps it is their sense of insecurity that makes them behave like that. Good friendships are slow-burning, and we don't want to be "best friends" within a couple of meetings. If that makes us odd, then so be it. I remember my mother pointing out, at a rehearsal for the Sovereign's Parade, that everyone was out of step with me. The drill sergeant didn't see it quite like that, I can tell you.

No comments:

Post a Comment