Friday 9 September 2016

Mates' Rates?

You could have knocked me down with a feather today. We had asked someone we considered a friend, whom we have supported for the last year or so, whether Ann's daughter and her boyfriend could stay in her empty apartment if they come over for a week at the end of September. This was the apartment we stayed in when we first arrived in Cyprus and were charged €350,00 a month and it has been empty ever since.

Well my flabber was well and truly ghasted when she emailed Ann this morning, and said she would want €250,00 for a week. In your dreams ... this was someone I have taken back and forth from the airport a couple of times and also taken her daughters backwards and forwards as well. Not a euro was asked for and not a euro was offered. This was someone I spent hours helping set up her Android tv box, and then restoring it when she somehow messed it up. I went on a number of occasions to her house to help, which is midway between here and Paphos.

So lesson learned I think. If the boot had been on the other foot, and she had asked if her daughter could stay then the answer would have been "Yes, of course. Perhaps you could make sure she cleaned the apartment properly when she leaves and leaves €10/20 (or whatever) to cover electricity costs." No ifs, not buts ...

So Becky S. will not be staying there and could stay at a small hotel in Polis for half the cost. And, just in case you're wondering, when she next contacts Ann for a favour or for my help, the answer will be "Ă“chi. Don't take me for a mug because I will get royally pissed off if you do."

No comments:

Post a Comment